Through NCHRP Project 20-68B, researchers followed up with scan participants regarding their current implementation efforts, challenges to implementation, and ways to improve the program. They also surveyed practitioners who did not participate directly in the scans—but who were engaged in implementing scan findings—looking for evidence that the effects of the scan were reaching beyond the initial participants.
The goal of NCHRP Project 20-68B was to document changes that have occurred at state transportation agencies in the time since the scans occurred and to assess the investment in domestic scans as a means for facilitating technology transfer among DOTs.
NCHRP Project 20-68B included these components:
- An interview of scan participants following the submission of the scan report to identify progress toward implementing high-value technologies and practices identified in the scans and qualitative or quantitative benefits attributable to the scan.
- A Web conference with each scan team and oversight panel to discuss results of interviews and compare experiences at their respective agencies related to implementing scan findings.
- A survey of the contacts provided by the scan participants to trace the secondary paths of implementation and technology transfer.
Post-scan survey efforts continue under NCHRP Project 20-68D.
NCHRP Project 20-68B also included the construction of this website to provide a dynamic means for communicating information about the Domestic Scan Program, especially impacts the scans are having on state DOT practice.
- Documentation on tracing scan impacts for individual scans are available on each scan’s page.
- The overview page for NCHRP Project 20-68B – Accelerating the Rate of Innovation Among State DOTs: Tracing Domestic Scan Impacts is available on NCHRP’s website.
- The first report on Project 20-68B(01) [PDF] traces the impacts of the first two pilot scans.
- The second report on Project 20-68B(01) [PDF] continues by tracing the impacts of the following six scans.
- The interim report on Project 20-68B(02) [PDF] traces the impacts of four additional scans.
- The final report on Project 20-68B(02) [PDF] traces the impacts of 13 scans, including the four in the interim report.
- The NCHRP Impacts on Practice “Person-to-person technology transfer” [PDF] features Project 20-68B.